Wednesday, October 18, 2017

Give Advice


Giving Advice

ADVICE /ədˈvaɪs/
ADVISE/ədˈvaɪz/ 

suggestions about what you think someone should do or how they should do something (a noun) - ADVICE to make a suggestion about what you think someone should do or how they should do something (a verb) - ADVISE


Advice is an uncountable noun, so:
 it is never used in the plural it never comes after an or a number


 ✗ Naomi Wolf gave me a good advice in her book. 

✓ Naomi Wolf gave me some good advice in her book.
✗ They were always there to give practical advices. 
✓ They were always there to give practical advice.


Q: How can I refer to a single item of advice, rather than to advice in general?A: Advice is mostly used on its own or with some. 
  • If you're worried about it, contact your doctor for advice.
  • I think you should get some advice from a professional.
  •  You can also say a word of advice, a piece of advice, or (informally) a bit of advice.
But none of these expressions is common.


Don't confuse advice (a noun) and advise (a verb):

 ✗ I would advice you to choose this company.
✓ I would advise you to choose this company.

The most popular way of giving advice is by using the modal verb: “should”. However we can also use other different phrases or expressions and words. 
Task01
Match the phrases or words with the construction that is used afterwards.  
1. should                      
2. had better 
3. ought  
4. how about 
 5. why don’t you
 6. if I were you  
 to do something
 I would do something
 do something
 do something
 doing something
 do something 

Examples of the structures above in context. 
  •  If you want to study French, you should start learning it right now.
  •  If you want to lose weight, you shouldn’t eat so much chocolate. 
  • You ought to drink less alcohol.
  •  Why don’t you come jogging with me? 
  •  How about going to the cinema. 
  •  If I were you, I would stop smoking. 
  •  You’d better start learning now, 
  • if you have an exam tomorrow. 
Task 2Practise the words and phrases in the situations below: 

1. Your friend wants to lose weight. 
2. Your colleague is not happy with his workplace.
 3. You best friend is not happy with her job.
 4. You sister doesn’t know if she wants to buy a house or a flat.

 5. Your son wants to study languages.
  Task3

re-write the sentences using “should, had better, ought to,
 















6- it is highly recommended that people don’t buy fake products.
7- it is better to check the expiry date before consuming the product.
8- it is advisable we report counterfeiters.
9- Why don’t  you stay away from internet and start buckling down.
10- I advise you not to stay up late.
11- I think you should put your diet into consideration.
12- I don’t think government should accept an American military base on its land.

13- If I were you, I would respect the law


No comments: